From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot Media Admin CD
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:00:19
1 João Miguel <jmcf125 <at> openmailbox.org> writes:
4 > > On the download pages I found this interesting choice for AMD64::
5 > > Boot Media Admin CD::
6 > > https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/
7 > > Anyone know what an .admin cd. is? Anyone tested it yet?
8 > Hmm I hadn't seen it, but it seems pretty similar to the minimal
9 > installation CD, except it has a different logo. In fact, it calls
10 > itself a «minimal installation CD», boots in exactly the same way (boot
11 > prompt, keymap choice, loading tons of modules, etc.)
12
13 I was thinking it was a boodcd that analyzed your hardware/settings
14 and throws one directly into a "chrooted environment". That would be
15 very cool, if that is the goal:: repair/reconfigure of low level missteps...
18 > So I'm guessing it has a few more things than the standard ISO, maybe
19 > some things that were deemed unnecessary for the minimal install, but
20 > that may be useful, I don't know, if you mess up your bootloader, or
21 > maybe it has some statically compiled binaries that you can copy and use
22 > on your main system if something is broken... But that's just a guess.
23
24 Yes, or it could be a hybrid-customizable (catalyst/aufs/systemrescue) media
25 project where you spin your own boot/recovery cd/iso sometime after an
26 install is complete? Just a wishful guess.... cloning for cluster research
27 and dev does come to mind (hopeful intentions here) for folks that need to
28 spin up lots of gentoo images on real hardware. As my work progresses to
29 'bare metal' clusters on heterogeneous hardware (arm64 is next) VM's are not
30 a viable option for my needs.
33 > The easiest way to know the difference may be to mount the ISOs, the
34 > SquashFSs inside, and compare the files...
35 > If you want to try it, you can do:
36 > $ qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1G -hda admincd.iso -enable-kvm
37 > Thanks for the question. Now I'm curious too :-D
38 > João Miguel
39
40 Yep, inquiring minds just want to know. Maybe?::It's preparation for the
41 upcoming "stage_4" installs? [1,2] There's quite an impressive list of devs
42 @1 now part of Gentoo Release Engineering. I sure those folks will "put out"
43 some amazing new install toys! Either way, an "admin cd" in the installation
44 media collection for gentoo, does spark excitement and
45 curiosities and possibilities, kno?
48 James
49
50 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng