From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] deleting virtual cd in usb hard disc
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:25:43
1 On 26 Jan 2010, at 20:54, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I don't think it is possible to remove it. Disks with this kind of
4 > "helpful" stuff are annoying because of violating corporate policies,
5 > being seen as non-hdd by some devices that accept external hard drives
6 > (like a dvr, media center etc).
7
8 It should be mentioned that these virtual CDs can be immensely useful
9 if your operating system doesn't ship with drivers for the unit -
10 think home users of Windows.
11
12 The virtual drive appears as a standard CD drive, supported by all
13 operating systems, and contains the needed software.
14
15 It is unfortunate, then, that the use of this has been extended from
16 things like wifi & 3G cards, for which drivers are often essential, to
17 hard-drives, which should appear as standard mass-storage devices,
18 anyway. I assume this allows the manufacturer to ship the Clever
19 Backup (tm) software which their marketing department deemed necessary.
20
21 Stroller.