From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] deleting virtual cd in usb hard disc
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:33:53
1 On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:24:52 +0000, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > It should be mentioned that these virtual CDs can be immensely useful
4 > if your operating system doesn't ship with drivers for the unit -
5 > think home users of Windows.
6 >
7 > The virtual drive appears as a standard CD drive, supported by all
8 > operating systems, and contains the needed software.
9 >
10 > It is unfortunate, then, that the use of this has been extended from
11 > things like wifi & 3G cards, for which drivers are often essential, to
12 > hard-drives, which should appear as standard mass-storage devices,
13 > anyway. I assume this allows the manufacturer to ship the Clever
14 > Backup (tm) software which their marketing department deemed necessary.
15
16 I've always suspected that the main reason for these is cost. Instead of
17 having to include a CD with each device, they simply include it in the
18 formware image. However, there is a convenience factor for users and
19 you'll never lose the driver CD, which often includes a PDF manual too,
20 unless you lose the device... and then it becomes unnecessary.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by moving to where you
27 can't find them.