From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FreeAgent extn. Drive setup ideas
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:03:26
1 On Tuesday 08 January 2008, James wrote:
2
3 > I assume it has NTFS by default. I have all of the legacy
4 > doz file systems enabled along with idonify in the kernel.
7 > I want to use it on both gentoo and windows systems
8 > for a variety of tasks. What the best way to set it up
9 > (ideas) so as to ensure what I copy onto the drive,
10 > form either gentoo or xp I can copy off onto a gento
11 > or XP based system? Should I delete any of the original
12 > stuff that Seagate installs on the drive?
13
14 I have no idea what Seagate installs on the drive. Assuming that it is NTFS,
15 you may want to read about www.ntfs-3g.org. It's also in portage:
16
17 $ eix -l ntfs3g
18 [I] sys-fs/ntfs3g
19 Available versions:
20 1.810 [suid]
21 ~ 1.1030 [suid]
22 ~ 1.1104 [suid]
23 ~ 1.1120 [debug suid]
24 Installed versions: 1.810(18:22:30 09/18/07)(-suid)
25 Homepage: http://www.ntfs-3g.org
27 FUSE
28
29 I have been using it for some time now on data (non-OS) partitions and had no
30 problems. YMMV.
31
32 > Also, I'm thinking about a udev rule or fstab entry
33 > on the gentoo system to uniquely identify the drive
34 > as I often attach several usb(stick or drive) devices
35 > to one system at any given time; so I'm looking for
36 > a scheme that they will each be unquely recognized (Labeled?
37
38 You may want to check the Gentoo Documentation and Gentoo Wiki and this ML and
39 the forums, for multiple suggestions and examples of setting up udev rules.
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick