From: Benoit St-Pierre <bstpierr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID with mixed drive sizes
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:07:43
1 On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:00:11 -0400, Benoit St-Pierre wrote:
4 >
5 > > I'm in the planning stages of setting up a file server and am
6 > > considering using RAID.
7 > >
8 > > My concern is that my drive sizes are mixed. I have two 500GB SATA
9 > > drives, a 320GB IDE and a 250GB IDE.
10 > >
11 > > I would like to set these up so that the maximum amount of disk space is
12 > > usable, but still be able to recover from any one drive failing. I would
13 > > also like to be able to add drives of any size as easily as possible.
14 >
15 > Create one 500GB RAID1 array with the SATA drives, then create a 250GB
16 > array using the IDE drives. Only 80GB lost, which you could partition out
17 > and use separately if you really need to.
18 >
19 > You want something you can easily recover from in the event of a disk
20 > failure, so keep it simple.
23 > --
24 > Neil Bothwick
25 >
26 > Loose bits sink chips.
29 This is a _much_ larger loss. With RAID5 I can use 2/3 of my storage space.
30 RAID1 I can only use half.