From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID with mixed drive sizes
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:01:32
1 On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:00:11 -0400, Benoit St-Pierre wrote:
2
3 > I'm in the planning stages of setting up a file server and am
4 > considering using RAID.
5 >
6 > My concern is that my drive sizes are mixed. I have two 500GB SATA
7 > drives, a 320GB IDE and a 250GB IDE.
8 >
9 > I would like to set these up so that the maximum amount of disk space is
10 > usable, but still be able to recover from any one drive failing. I would
11 > also like to be able to add drives of any size as easily as possible.
12
13 Create one 500GB RAID1 array with the SATA drives, then create a 250GB
14 array using the IDE drives. Only 80GB lost, which you could partition out
15 and use separately if you really need to.
16
17 You want something you can easily recover from in the event of a disk
18 failure, so keep it simple.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Loose bits sink chips.