From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm problem(s)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:03:55
1 On Tuesday 16 June 2009 17:52:28 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > >> FWIW only one device, the SD card, can't be found and it is listed
3 > >> about 20 times in the boot console before the LVM gives up.
4 > >
5 > > Is everything needed to use the SD card compiled into the kernel? As it
6 > > works after everything is loaded, I suspect not. Look for anything
7 > > relevant in the output of lsmod after the system loads and the card is
8 > > working, then either add those modules to the autoload file, or build
9 > > them into the kernel.
10 >
11 > One step forward, two steps back. The missing module is mmc_block
12 > which I added to the file /etc/conf.d/modules(I upgraded to
13 > baselayout-2 thinking this would help). Did no good. I see dm-mod and
14 > mmc_block getting loaded alright and then just after 'Setting up the
15 > Logical Volume Manager':
16 >
17 > Locking type 1 initialisation failed
18 > Couldn't find devices with uuid etc...
19
20 My unorthodox but highly effective way to resolve issues like this:
21
22 If google or menuconfig's help function doesn't give me an answer in 10
23 minutes, I boot off Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a usb stick (it's a 1G download),
24 and note which modules it loads and settings it uses for stuff. Boot back into
25 gentoo, configure and build accordingly ... sorted
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com