From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:49:26
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 11:14:10PM +0100, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> every single time I've had trouble using dd and unetbootin on a usb
5 >>>> stick it's because I yanked it out of the socket too early.
6 >>>>
7 >>>> just sayin'
8 >>> Yes, you MUST run sync after dd. When I tested the minimal install image
9 >>> just now, dd returned after less than two seconds. sync took a little
10 >>> longer...
11 >> BTW, I bricked a USB stick when I impatiently pulled it out thinking that dd
12 >> had finished. I learned to be more patient and less stupid from that
13 >> experience.
14 >>
15 >> Run sync and wait for it to finish. ;-)
16 > The problem here is that more and more USB stick models don't have a LED
17 > anymore so the manufacturer can shave off another 2 cents from the bill.
18
19 If you run sync and the prompt comes back for the next command, then
20 sync should be finished. I guess one could try the eject command too.
21 I think, THINK, it makes sure things are synced before it finishes.
22
23 I do like the ones with the LED tho.
24
25 Dale