From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:28:01
1 On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 11:14:10PM +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > > every single time I've had trouble using dd and unetbootin on a usb
4 > > > stick it's because I yanked it out of the socket too early.
5 > > >
6 > > > just sayin'
7 > >
8 > > Yes, you MUST run sync after dd. When I tested the minimal install image
9 > > just now, dd returned after less than two seconds. sync took a little
10 > > longer...
11 >
12 > BTW, I bricked a USB stick when I impatiently pulled it out thinking that dd
13 > had finished. I learned to be more patient and less stupid from that
14 > experience.
15 >
16 > Run sync and wait for it to finish. ;-)
17
18 The problem here is that more and more USB stick models don't have a LED
19 anymore so the manufacturer can shave off another 2 cents from the bill.
20 --
21 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
22 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
23
24 The best way of getting a bad proposal from the table
25 is to make a better one.