From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:52:54
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:26 on Saturday 23 October 2010, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:52:18 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > >> That was what I recalled about the openrc discussion too. It is coming
7 > >> but just not sure when. Me, I'm not switching until it starts getting
8 > >> closer to that time. It, like some of the newer versions of portage,
9 > >> appears to be stable and is used by many people but is not marked
10 > >> stable yet. Both of those sort of confuse me sometimes.
11 > >
12 > > You're mixing two different definitions of stable. Portage 2.2 is
13 > > certainly reliable, but it is anything but stable with a new version
14 > > coming out every day at the moment,.
15 >
16 > Well, I run unstable portage here and it seems stable and reliable to
17 > me. I know they are adding things and fixing things pretty regular but
18 > most packages do that anyway and a lot of them are marked as stable.
19 >
20 > I read somewhere that the reason some of the later versions of portage
21 > are not stable is not because the new ones are not ready but because
22 > they want more testing of the old versions. Not sure why that is tho.
23 >
24 > Dale
25 >
26 > :-) :-)
29 $PORTDIR/profiles/package.mask:
30
31 # Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> (05 Jan 2009)
32 # Portage 2.2 is masked due to known bugs in the
33 # package sets and preserve-libs features. See
34 # bug #253802 for details.
35 >=sys-apps/portage-2.2_pre
36
37 The old message for =sys-apps/portage-2.2_rc1 said something different, like
38 "to enable further testing of the 2.1.6 series"
42 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com