From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System won't boot if CMOS clock is slow
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:56:23
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Bruce Hill
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 04:43:16PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >> I'm having problems with one of my Gentoo systems who's motherboard
5 >> clock is a little slow. When the system comes up, the system time is
6 >> set from the motherboard clock. If that's slow, something in the init
7 >> system seems to panic because some file or other has a timestamp in
8 >> the future.
9 >>
10 >> Just to make it extra convenient, it clears the console screen when
11 >> that happens so there's no actual record of what went wrong or which
12 >> component in th init process is failing.
13 >>
14 >> Going into the BIOS setup and setting the time ahead a minute or two
15 >> will allow the system to start up normally.
16 >>
17 >> Is there any way to disable this "feature"?
18 >
19 > Replace your CMOS battery.
20
21 His system clock runs slow, it's not a matter of the CMOS battery
22 being dead. If it were dead, the clock would be years off.
25 > Default behavior of agetty is to clear now. In /etc/inittab make sure you have
26 > --noclear in tty1 like this:
27 >
28 > # TERMINALS
29 > c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty --noclear 38400 tty1 linux
33 :wq