From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System won't boot if CMOS clock is slow
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:53:05
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 04:43:16PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I'm having problems with one of my Gentoo systems who's motherboard
3 > clock is a little slow. When the system comes up, the system time is
4 > set from the motherboard clock. If that's slow, something in the init
5 > system seems to panic because some file or other has a timestamp in
6 > the future.
7 >
8 > Just to make it extra convenient, it clears the console screen when
9 > that happens so there's no actual record of what went wrong or which
10 > component in th init process is failing.
11 >
12 > Going into the BIOS setup and setting the time ahead a minute or two
13 > will allow the system to start up normally.
14 >
15 > Is there any way to disable this "feature"?
16
17 Replace your CMOS battery.
18
19 Default behavior of agetty is to clear now. In /etc/inittab make sure you have
20 --noclear in tty1 like this:
21
22 # TERMINALS
23 c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty --noclear 38400 tty1 linux
24
25 Bruce
26 --
27 Happy Penguin Computers >')