From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way forward? - Update 1
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 22:31:01
1 On 2/26/21 12:50 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > Ah yes, I hadn't thought about the mirrors being too up to date.
3
4 There's also issue with older packages being installed. E.g. I have an
5 older kernel source (4.14.127) that I'm keeping around for various
6 reasons. I've found that the Gentoo repo / portage removes older ebuild
7 files. So, I've had to source them and add them to my local repo.
8
9 Even putting the old ebuilds into my local repo is entertaining because
10 repoman / ebuild fail to download the source files b/c the mirrors have
11 updated. Hence finding files and putting them in distfiles.
12
13 > If the packages are installed, the ebuilds are in var/db/pkg.
14
15 The package (distribution files) for the version that is installed are
16 in distfiles. But that does little for an ebuild that's looking for a
17 newer version that's no longer on the expected mirrors.
18
19 > The kernel shouldn't be a problem, I would expect you to be able
20 > to jump straight to the current version, although you may prefer to
21 > recompile it once you are fully up to date on the toolchain.
22
23 This system has both Open vSwitch and OpenZFS, so I'm loath to allow
24 automation to change the kernel version. That will be a problem for
25 future me to deal with manually.
30 Grant. . . .
31 unix || die