From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Different install prefix - howto ?
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:31:15
1 On Friday 06 October 2006 13:08, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > > I'd like to install an experimental package with a different prefix,
3 > > say /usr/local/test
4 > > What should I write into the ebuild file?
5 >
6 > I don't think the ROOT environment variable when emerging is what you
7 > want. I think you can just append "--prefix=/usr/local/test" to the
8 > call to "econf". All of this assumes usage of autoconf, of course.
9 > Another common approach is to set DESTDIR to ${D}/usr/local/test for
10 > "make install".
11 >
12 > See
13 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
14
15 Probably a better a reference is [1]. I'm not sure why you don't think he
16 wants the ROOT var. Also ${D} isn't where it's going to be installed to (in
17 the ebuild qmerge sense - see `man ebuild'). It's where the image is going to
18 be installed (the ebuild install sense - again see `man ebuild`). Also it's a
19 var to be used internally in the ebuild only (which I assume you know). If I
20 am correct about what he wants then the point is that there is no need to
21 edit the ebuild file (otherwise it's a bug).
22
23 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~plasmaroo/devmanual//ebuild-writing/variables/
26 Bo Andresen