From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: msmtp vs. nullmailer
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 07:24:29
1 Am Mon, 8 Jun 2015 13:27:37 +0000 (UTC)
2 schrieb Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On 2015-06-08, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > > However, the one thing that annoys me is that msmtp does not seem to have any
7 > > sort of queue [2], so if it can't deliver an email, it must be resent, which is
8 > > annoying for system emails.
9 >
10 > I've been using msmtp for many years, and I find I don't miss having
11 > an outbout mail queue. It turns out I just don't send e-mail when
12 > "offline". If I do try to send mail, and it fails, I actually like
13 > knowing about it imediately rather than finding out three days later
14 > that something's broken and nothing I've sent out in the past few days
15 > has actually been sent.
16
17 Perhaps I should have been more explicit about this (I did imply it), but I
18 use msmtp *only* for system emails, you know, from fcron, smtpd, portage, etc.
19 When offline, it would mean that msmtp simply times out and I only notice it
20 when looking through the logs. With portage it's not a problem, but with
21 something like smartd that only sends notifications very rarely, it can be bad.
22
23 However, Guy-Laurent's post made me aware of the msmtpq/msmtp-queue scripts
24 that are installed by msmtp (but not in PATH). I will investigate these ASAP.
25
26 Thanks
27 --
28 Marc Joliet
29 --
30 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
31 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup