From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 - my experience so far...
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:29:29
1 On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Are you merely ranting or asking for help?
3 >
4 > If the former, well, OK i Hear you. But I don't care.
5 >
6 > If the latter, then you need to provide info like logs, output etc.
7 >
8 > ~amd64 works like a charm for me here.
12 Neither. I think I asked a simple question. How does one get ~amd64
13 @system and stable everything else? If the answer is 'you can't' or
14 'it's immensely hard because you have to -~arch everything by hand'
15 then I'll just go back to stable, whether it is easy or requires me to
16 rebuild the system from scratch.
17
18 I'm certainly not ranting. I don't think that tone should came across
19 in what I wrote and if you're reading that in then it's on your end
20 not mine. (Although I apologize for writing anything that made that
21 happen!) I have __nothing__ on this system. The hardware is brand new.
22 It's been said time and time again that running all ~arch on other
23 people's systems (like yours) works great and I wanted to try it.
24 It's certainly not working for me at this point but I'm not upset,
25 mad, or anything like that. I'm asking a simple question. That's it.
26 Nothing more.
27
28 I am however documenting my experiences for others than come after me
29 to this question of "to ~amd64 or not ~amd64". Nothing more. It worked
30 for Alan who is a __very__ experienced and capable person. It didn't
31 work for Mark (at this point) who is a 10 year Gentoo user but
32 __nothing__ more than a user type Those people can decide who they are
33 closer to in capabilities and make their choice a bit more informed.
34
35 I didn't wake up this morning thinking I could do what you and Neil
36 and others on this list can with this distro. I'm not that silly! I
37 just wanted to try ~amd64 to see what happened. It will take me less
38 than 90 minutes to get to a new clean install if I blow everything
39 away and start over. It's not a big deal.
40
41 - Mark