From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:27:19
1 On 11/09/12 01:12, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:46:14 -0700
3 > Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Gentoo is the best distribution I have used (I haven't used too many:
6 >> ubuntu, fedora, gentoo). I love the USE flags. I love watching (and
7 >> questioning) what is going to be installed. I love emerge.
8 >> Supposedly gentoo lacks being able to have a system "just work"
9 >> without thinking about anything. But in my experience on linux, this
10 >> simply isn't the case anywhere. With ubuntu, for example, I had
11 >> trouble with sound and ethernet cards that I could never figure out...
12 >> and the kind of answers I get on their forums drive me insane ("my
13 >> uncle once said that his cousin typed this magical command and it
14 >> worked fine for a little while so maybe try that").
15 >>
16 >> And what's the deal with these "major release versions" of the other
17 >> distros? Why do that?
18 >
19 > They are binary distros so they have no choice. For the duration of
20 > that version's life, all the packages shipped must all work together
21 > and that is only possible if the ABI does not change.
22
23 Arch Linux is a binary distro (by default, at least) and it seems to
24 have gotten this right though.