From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 01:47:54
1 On Sep 11, 2012 5:29 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/09/12 01:12, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:46:14 -0700
6 >> Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Gentoo is the best distribution I have used (I haven't used too many:
9 >>> ubuntu, fedora, gentoo). I love the USE flags. I love watching (and
10 >>> questioning) what is going to be installed. I love emerge.
11 >>> Supposedly gentoo lacks being able to have a system "just work"
12 >>> without thinking about anything. But in my experience on linux, this
13 >>> simply isn't the case anywhere. With ubuntu, for example, I had
14 >>> trouble with sound and ethernet cards that I could never figure out...
15 >>> and the kind of answers I get on their forums drive me insane ("my
16 >>> uncle once said that his cousin typed this magical command and it
17 >>> worked fine for a little while so maybe try that").
18 >>>
19 >>> And what's the deal with these "major release versions" of the other
20 >>> distros? Why do that?
23 >> They are binary distros so they have no choice. For the duration of
24 >> that version's life, all the packages shipped must all work together
25 >> and that is only possible if the ABI does not change.
28 > Arch Linux is a binary distro (by default, at least) and it seems to have
29 gotten this right though.
33 Strangely enough, I never managed to deploy Arch production servers. Always
34 got stuck in staging, after I tried setting up some packages, they always
35 end up not working.
36
37 It was most likely a fault of mine, not knowing the proper incantations and
38 druidic maneouvres required to run it properly... but I was impatient, and
39 was already *very* familiar with Gentoo, so I switched gear completely.
40 Within 24 hours -- most of the time taken by my obsession of 'remerging the
41 world using graphite, 3 times', I got me a properly running staging server
42 (and it got pushed into production after two weeks).
43
44 The beauty of Gentoo, IMO, is that I know exactly what is going on in my
45 servers. Entering the shell, I can figuratively feel the pulse of the beast.
46
47 In my current employment, I have to sadly say that I'm no longer using
48 Gentoo. The OS spec is set by the guys in the 'Application' Sub-Department,
49 and they invariably ask for either CentOS or Ubuntu... which I might add,
50 are all working well.
51
52 Again, I'm not bad-mouthing Arch, but for me it's an unsatisfying middle
53 ground between true rolling release distro (Gentoo) and versioned binary
54 distro (Ubuntu, CentOS). Of course, YMMV, but after my experience, I'd
55 settle at either end of the spectrum, not in the middle.
56
57 Rgds,