From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: RAID problems - Is udev at fault here?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 00:09:13
1 On 05/16/2010 02:56 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM, walt<w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 05/16/2010 10:56 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I have a newish high-end machine here that's causing me some problems
6 >>> with RAID, but looking at log files and dmesg I don't think the
7 >>> problem is actually RAID and more likely udev. I'm looking for some
8 >>> ideas on how to debug this.
9 >>>
10 >>> The hardware:
11 >>> Asus Rampage II Extreme
12 >>> Intel Core i7-980x
13 >>> 12GB DRAM
14 >>> 5 WD5002ABYS RAID Edition 500GB drives
15 >>
16 >> I had an asus mobo that turned out to be great in the long run, but a few
17 >> of its newer hardware gadgets took months to be well-supported by linux.
18 >>
19 >> I'm thinking (completely guessing :) it sounds like a driver that's not
20 >> setting some bit properly in a hardware register during boot.
21 >>
22 >> That turned out to be a problem with the network chip on my asus, which
23 >> randomly didn't work after reboots. Finally the driver got fixed after
24 >> I whined a thousand times to the driver maintainer at Broadcom :)
27 > It very well could be something like that. I had a Compaq laptop a few
28 > years ago which had an ATI chipset in it and which took a long time to
29 > get DMA working on the hard drive controller to it was very slow for
30 > the first few months.
31 >
32 > The thing about this is that it's a single 6 port SATA controller in
33 > an Intel chipset, albeit because it's the newer chipsets with the
34 > newest processor (6 cores, 12 threads) it likely hasn't been seen by
35 > too many people yet.
36 >
37 > Let's assume you're right? I've been trying to determine how udev goes
38 > about finding the actual hard drives and assigning them device names.
39 > Is there a way that I can get udev to log what it's doing? Any sort of
40 > debug messages I can get it to print in a log file somewhere?
41 >
42 > It is a flaky problem and strangely it doesn't always miss every
43 > partition on a given drive. For instance /dev/md3, md5 and md11
44 > 3-drive RAID1 arrays. You'd think if it was the controller failing it
45 > would fail for all the partitions on a given drive, but it doesn't. It
46 > might find sda3 for md3 but miss sda5 for md5. Strange.
47
48 Hm. Is this your motherboard?:
49
50 http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih
51
52 Being a geek of a certain age, I find that products with names that invoke
53 mega-dose anabolic steroids usually don't fit my lifestyle very well.
54
55 I do better with product names that contain more sedate character strings
56 like VSOP or MOM.
57
58 By grepping through /usr/src/linux*/MAINTAINERS I turned up quite a few
59 email addresses at intel.com, none of which seem relevant to RAID or its
60 device drivers, but a polite email asking for a link to the appropriate
61 dev might bring a polite and useful reply. That's how I connected with
62 the appropriate dev at Broadcom, who eventually fixed my ethernet driver.