From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: RAID problems - Is udev at fault here?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 21:57:13
1 On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/16/2010 10:56 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I have a newish high-end machine here that's causing me some problems
5 >> with RAID, but looking at log files and dmesg I don't think the
6 >> problem is actually RAID and more likely udev. I'm looking for some
7 >> ideas on how to debug this.
8 >>
9 >> The hardware:
10 >> Asus Rampage II Extreme
11 >> Intel Core i7-980x
12 >> 12GB DRAM
13 >> 5 WD5002ABYS RAID Edition 500GB drives
14 >
15 > I had an asus mobo that turned out to be great in the long run, but a few
16 > of its newer hardware gadgets took months to be well-supported by linux.
17 >
18 > I'm thinking (completely guessing :) it sounds like a driver that's not
19 > setting some bit properly in a hardware register during boot.
20 >
21 > That turned out to be a problem with the network chip on my asus, which
22 > randomly didn't work after reboots.  Finally the driver got fixed after
23 > I whined a thousand times to the driver maintainer at Broadcom :)
26 It very well could be something like that. I had a Compaq laptop a few
27 years ago which had an ATI chipset in it and which took a long time to
28 get DMA working on the hard drive controller to it was very slow for
29 the first few months.
30
31 The thing about this is that it's a single 6 port SATA controller in
32 an Intel chipset, albeit because it's the newer chipsets with the
33 newest processor (6 cores, 12 threads) it likely hasn't been seen by
34 too many people yet.
35
36 Let's assume you're right? I've been trying to determine how udev goes
37 about finding the actual hard drives and assigning them device names.
38 Is there a way that I can get udev to log what it's doing? Any sort of
39 debug messages I can get it to print in a log file somewhere?
40
41 It is a flaky problem and strangely it doesn't always miss every
42 partition on a given drive. For instance /dev/md3, md5 and md11
43 3-drive RAID1 arrays. You'd think if it was the controller failing it
44 would fail for all the partitions on a given drive, but it doesn't. It
45 might find sda3 for md3 but miss sda5 for md5. Strange.
46
47 Thanks for the ideas.
48
49 - Mark