From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:35:55
1 On 30/09/2013 01:31, Daniel Campbell wrote:
4 > Curious; how is merging two filesystems done? I don't have a separate
5 > /usr and am completely unaffected by this change, but it's somewhat
6 > interesting to me. /usr stores some pretty important data on it, and I
7 > imagine you'd need to mount it somewhere else in order to move the
8 > files from it to /'s /usr dir. Is a Live environment recommended
9 > instead? How would you mitigate the leftover partition, assuming it's
10 > not adjacent to /'s partition?
13 Because /usr is continually in use, boot using a livecd of your choice.
14 In that environment, use fdisk (or whichever *disk you like) to make any
15 changes to partitions you know you will need.
16
17 Mount your gentoo / somewhere convenient
18 Mount your gentoo /usr somewhere convenient
19
20 copy the latter over to the former
21 edit fstab
22 reboot
23
24 It really is just a case of moving a large number of files around, but
25 because those very files are always in use you have to do it in livecd
26 environment.
27
28 There's no exact checklist one can follow to guarantee a 100% result
29 blindly. Instead, as this is Gentoo, we assume users built their system
30 knowing what they were doing and can appropriately deal with their
31 config themselves. RAID and LVM for example may need attention, but the
32 user is usually equipped to deal with that and knows what t do.
36 > I don't run an initramfs, thankfully, but I keep a pretty simple
37 > system in terms of filesystems: /, /boot, and /home.
41 Alan McKinnon
42 Systems Engineer^W Technician
43 Infrastructure Services
44 Internet Solutions