From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xserver @ oss-qm overlay [WAS: Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies ...]
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:50:26
1 * Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 20 May 2007 18:49:31 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 >
4 > > The circular dependencies between Xserver and drivers do not come
5 > > from upstream. They're artificial. If we just want an simple-to-use
6 > > package which gets the Xserver *and* drivers based on useflags
7 > > (which IMHO is an good idea), it's quite trivial to do this by an
8 > > virtual/meta package. I've did it and it works good. You can get
9 > > it from my overlay via CVS:
10 >
11 > How is this different prom portage installing the server and required
12 > drivers according to USE flag settings?
13
14 The difference is that you have *really NO* circular dependency.
15 PDEPENDS are in fact depencencies (no matter how many people deny
16 this fact), but with some hint for serialization. An additional
17 complexity which is not needed with my approach.
20 cu
21 --
23 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
25 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
26 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
27 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
28 http://patches.metux.de/
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list