From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Very recent change in behavior of gmail imap/smtp servers
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 08:30:20
1 On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 18:34:25 -0700 walt wrote:
2 > Very soon after being invited to open a gmail account, I discovered
3 > that google offers non-web-browser access to their free (as in beer)
4 > email servers.
5 >
6 > This puzzled me (still does) because it seems to violate google's basic
7 > business model, which is based on advertising revenue. (I never see an
8 > advertisement when sending/reading email via smtp/imap, obviously.)
9
10 1. Even with pop3/gmail users occasionally use web interface:
11 a) When travelling and location/country is changed, Google denies
12 pop3/smtp login saying "web access required". After web login
13 (possibly with two-factor auth) user needs to confirm new location.
14 b) In order to delete occasional spam messages as spam.
15 c) In order to look through spam folder and retrieve
16 false-positives. Unfortunately this happens sometimes.
17
18 2. Users are paying for services not only by reading ads, but with
19 their private data: contents of their e-mails, various profiles,
20 Google+ data and so on.
21
22 > Google has just introduced a 120-second delay before allowing login to
23 > their email servers. Just in the last day or two, literally.
24 >
25 > I can understand the delay for sending email (spammers) but why the
26 > same delay for reading email?
27
28 I use POP3 and SMTP for gmail daily, no delays here. Maybe your ISP
29 is doing something: either bug, or MitM or some other nasty things.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Andrew Savchenko