From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libvirt
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:21:43
1 >> Do you need a virsh command, or is it enough to know libvirt supports?
2 >> In the second case you might look at [1]
3 >
4 > Well, given that I'm on gentoo, USE flags start getting involved in
5 > enabling and disabling functionality. Rather than actively examining
6 > the compile-time factors, I was hoping for a way to simply ask
7 > libvirtd via virsh. Going that route gives me an approach that works
8 > weather I'm on Gentoo, Linux, Debian or whatever.
11 Good point. Virsh should at least tell you what storage pool support has
12 been enabled while compiling. That would still leave you with another
13 problem: Even if iSCSI or LVM support has been enabled, it doesn't mean
14 you can actually use it on that host (maybe no kernel support, not
15 configured, maybe no disk in node, ...)
16
17 In virsh there's a find-storage-pool-sources command, sadly there's
18 almost no documentation. On my testing machine it is at least able to
19 discover the LVM.
20
21 virsh # find-storage-pool-sources logical
22 <sources>
23 <source>
24 <device path='/dev/sdb6'/>
25 <name>kvm1</name>
26 <format type='lvm2'/>
27 </source>
28 </sources>
29
30 >> You also might take a look at virt-manager (in portage) which is a gui
31 >> for libvirt that manages libvirt on your local machine an remote
32 >> machines (via ssh tunnel for example).
33 >
34 > I've played with virt-manager before. I could use it again, but at
35 > least part of this exercise is to learn libvirt and kvm using a
36 > spartan toolchain. So I'm trying to do everything I can via CLI. (I'm
37 > handy enough with Python that I could use the python API bindings, but
38 > I presumed virsh would be easier, if not simpler.)
39
40 Yeah, I was a hardcore kvm user once too :) No libvirt installed, just
41 pure kvm, did everything on cli, creating images, setting up the virtual
42 network, starting kvm vms by hand with a big-ass argument list, ... I
43 guess I just got lazy :)
44
45 >> I am really happy with virt-manager here, it work very well on you don't
46 >> need to remember all the virsh commands (which becomes pretty handy when
47 >> managing storage, virtual networks and creating vms)
48 >
49 > Yeah, I'm hoping to learn all those commands. I want to
50 > proof-of-concept an approach for a high-availability NFS server using
51 > VMs.[2] :)
52
53 Sounds interesting, I'll bookmark that.