From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libvirt
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 13:58:36
1 On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz> wrote:
2 > Am 03.12.2012 04:22, schrieb Michael Mol:
3 >> So, anyone have any experience with libvirt here? I'm familiar with
4 >> VMWare and Xen. Not so much libvirt, which I understand to be a
5 >> wrapper around other virt models.
6 >>
7 >> Starting from scratch in virsh...how do I ask libvirtd what pool
8 >> formats it supports?
9 >>
10 >> --
11 >> :wq
14 > Do you need a virsh command, or is it enough to know libvirt supports?
15 > In the second case you might look at [1]
16
17 Well, given that I'm on gentoo, USE flags start getting involved in
18 enabling and disabling functionality. Rather than actively examining
19 the compile-time factors, I was hoping for a way to simply ask
20 libvirtd via virsh. Going that route gives me an approach that works
21 weather I'm on Gentoo, Linux, Debian or whatever.
24 > You also might take a look at virt-manager (in portage) which is a gui
25 > for libvirt that manages libvirt on your local machine an remote
26 > machines (via ssh tunnel for example).
27
28 I've played with virt-manager before. I could use it again, but at
29 least part of this exercise is to learn libvirt and kvm using a
30 spartan toolchain. So I'm trying to do everything I can via CLI. (I'm
31 handy enough with Python that I could use the python API bindings, but
32 I presumed virsh would be easier, if not simpler.)
33
34 > I am really happy with virt-manager here, it work very well on you don't
35 > need to remember all the virsh commands (which becomes pretty handy when
36 > managing storage, virtual networks and creating vms)
37
38 Yeah, I'm hoping to learn all those commands. I want to
39 proof-of-concept an approach for a high-availability NFS server using
40 VMs.[2] :)
44 > [1] http://libvirt.org/storage.html
47 [2] http://mmol-6453.livejournal.com/279980.html
50 :wq