From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advantages or disadvantages of use package.use as directory
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:32:16
1 On 30/08/2015 18:15, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I see there have been a change in how we list our specific use flags.
3
4 It's been around for 5+ years or so
5
6 > I'm seeing /etc/portage/package.use/ pkg1 pkg2 ... etc rather than
7 > package.use as a file that contains the specific pkgs and use flags.
8 >
9 > I wonder if there is some advantage to leaving things as my
10 > installation has created them or should I revert to the old way where
11 > package.use is file... not a directory.
12
13 It's the same advantage as having /etc/*.d directories:
14
15 - package managers can add/remove/change single files without having to
16 grep/sed/awk everything in one file (unreliably)
17 - tools like autounmask will work, whereas before they were hit and go
18 - if you name the files after specific packages or categories you can
19 see at a glance where you've made changes
20
21 > If directory is better then how would I list USE flags for emacs-vcs?
22
23 /etc/portage/package.use/and-valid-filename-you-feel-like-using
26 > Just create a file `/etc/portage/package.use/emacs-vcs' with USE flags
27
28 yes
29
30 > Or do I need to create another direrctorry within like:
31 > /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs?
32
33 no
36 > I tried the later like so:
37 > /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs
38 > where emacs-vcs contains:
39 >
40 > emacs-vcs Xaw3d athena gnutls imagemagick toolkit-scroll-bars
41 >
42 > and this way:
43 >
44 > >=app-editors/emacs-vcs-25.0.50_pre20150731 Xaw3d athena gnutls imagemagick toolkit-scroll-bars
45 >
46 > But when I attempt emerging... the USE flags do not reflect those
47 > choices and shows and error:
48 >
49 > --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs:
50 > >=app-editors/emacs-vcs
51 >
52 > So what is the correct format?
55 Both your above are completely wrong. The docs clearly and unambiguously
56 say the exact format inside the file is identical whether you use a
57 package.use file, or any old arb filename you want inside a package.use/
58 directory
59
60 You have not done this, you have let your confused brain override what
61 your eyes can clearly see, and have invented something new to do that is
62 not in the docs. Tut, tut.
63
64 Read the docs again and do what they say.
68 Alan McKinnon
69 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com