From: Dan Johansson <dan@×××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Application Menu" missing on Desktop after KDE/Plasma update from 5.16.5 to 5.17.4
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 12:52:21
1 On 28.12.19 10:34, Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >> On Saturday, 28 December 2019 09:17:36 GMT Dan Johansson wrote:
4 >>> On 28.12.19 09:18, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Dan Johansson wrote:
6 >>>>> On 27.12.19 22:53, Dale wrote:
7 >>>>> I'll try and create a new user and see what happens...
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> I'll be back (with the results).
10 >>>> Trying a different/new user will give the same results. Renaming the
11 >>>> config files to .old or something then testing will allow you to go back
12 >>>> if it doesn't help. You just rename and remove .old. Just delete the
13 >>>> new one first. Still, either way will work. I have a dale2 user just
14 >>>> for that purpose I might add.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Given everything is there, I'm not sure what to try next. I was hoping
17 >>>> someone else would have a idea.
18 >>> Bad news (for me) (;-)
19 >>>
20 >>> I created a new user and for this user everything works as it should -
21 >>> now I just have to figure out the best way to somehow recreate my
22 >>> personalized setup after moving the old configuration out of the way.
23 >>>
24 >>> Greetings,
25 >> Instead of recreating all your user settings, I'd start by diffing the two
26 >> users directories. This would point to files which are probably irrelevant to
27 >> your issue, e.g. application files, and consequently leave you with some
28 >> generic desktop configuration files to compare.
32 > Plus, this may be a good time to rename the config directory to .old and
33 > copy one or two files over at a time until you find a failure.  Then you
34 > know which file is causing the problem and can restore the other files
35 > and only have to reconfigure what that one file creates.
36 >
37 > Either way you do this it will require some time and effort.  Mick's
38 > idea may be faster.  Files with no difference won't matter so no point
39 > copying them over one or two at a time.  Just do that for the ones that
40 > are different.  Keep in mind, you can't always do this with different
41 > users unless you change the permissions.
42 >
43 > Post what, if anything, you figure out tho.  It may help some other poor
44 > soul with the same issue.
45
46 After some fiddling around, sorry research, I narrowed down the issue to
47 one single file:
48 ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
49
50 After deleting this file, and this file only, my "Left Click" started
51 working again. BUT every single configuration of my Desktop (shortcuts,
52 panel-configuration and so on) was lost in the process. (:-(
53 Well, first computer is done, now for the second one.
54
55 Thanks for all feedback and a Happy New Year to everyone!
56 --
57 Dan Johansson
59 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!