From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Asus Eee Gentoo install - no CD drive
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:04:18
1 On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 16:16:25 +0100, Robert Bridge wrote:
2
3 > > I'm very familiar with installing Gentoo via LiveCD, but I'm not sure
4 > > how to go about it without a CD drive. I'm sure there are many exotic
5 > > options to choose from, but I'd rather not have to learn too much new
6 > > stuff to get this done. Can anyone recommend a simple method? I have
7 > > a wired/wireless LAN/internet connection and 3 systems on the LAN
8 > > running Gentoo. No USB drive though.
9 >
10 > If you already have a linux install on the machine, you could install
11 > from that.
12
13 Xandros doesn't have the tools necessary to install Gentoo. I used an
14 eeeXubuntu CD, which has a script to create a bootable flash disk. Boot
15 fro the CD on another computer, run the script then boot the Eee from the
16 USB stick.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make
23 it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way
24 is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
25 The first method is far more difficult" -C.A.R. Hoare