From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video) (Fixed!)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 02:55:32
1 On 2011/05/15 22:18 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:
2
3 > I have two Gentoo stanzas in my primary bootloader, one to load the kernel,
4 > another to chainload Gentoo's Grub. Loading the kernel works, but chainload
5 > gives error 13 invalid executable format. I named the bzImage copied to /boot
6 > "kernel-2.6.37-r4f", and symlinked it a vmlinuz. vmlinuz is the name I use in
7 > the Grub stanzas. Is Gentoo's Grub expecting the kernel to have a particular
8 > name, and I picked a wrong one? Or maybe what it doesn't like is that I
9 > uncommented splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in menu.lst?
10
11 I got this to work too:
12
13 # grub
14 grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
15 grub> root (hd0,6)
16 grub> setup (hd0,6)
17 grub> quit
18 #
19
20 Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it didn't
21 actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up. If so, it could be
22 there was already some mismatched Grub code there already from a previous use
23 of the sectors there that didn't like the file format.
24 --
25 "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
26 words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
27
28 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
29
30 Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/