From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 02:20:04
1 On 2011/05/14 09:20 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:
2
3 > My #1 problem to solve is NFS not working yet (nfs-utils aka libevent,
4 > portmap, rpc emerge failures), but it would also be very nice to get Grub to
5 > emerge. Logs: http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/
6
7 Now as noted in the econf failed thread I've succeeded in emerging nfs-utils
8 and grub, but neither work right.
9
10 I have two Gentoo stanzas in my primary bootloader, one to load the kernel,
11 another to chainload Gentoo's Grub. Loading the kernel works, but chainload
12 gives error 13 invalid executable format. I named the bzImage copied to /boot
13 "kernel-2.6.37-r4f", and symlinked it a vmlinuz. vmlinuz is the name I use in
14 the Grub stanzas. Is Gentoo's Grub expecting the kernel to have a particular
15 name, and I picked a wrong one? Or maybe what it doesn't like is that I
16 uncommented splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in menu.lst?
17
18 The errors from NFS are different than I originally encountered, and indicate
19 that neither portmap nor rpcbind are running. Which of the two did nfs-utils
20 actually install (or both?), and what exactly is its name I need to use with
21 rc-update or start one or the other manually to get my server's exports
22 mounted locally?
23 --
24 "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
25 words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
26
27 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
28
29 Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/