From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Offtopic] Lightweight server distro for an old motherboard
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:40:08
1 On 08/31/12 02:16, James wrote:
2 > Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:
5 >> Anyone got any suggestions for a lightweight server distro for an old
6 >> motherboard? I've got one of the VIA mini-ITX boards, SP13000, and want
7 >> to whack something light onto it. It will be working as a file/media
8 >> server and will be headless, hence will be fiddled via ssh. Obviously
9 >> there are the usual suspects, debian, centos, but does anyone have any
10 >> recommendations viv a vis a stripped down distro, sort of like Lubuntu
11 >> is to Ubuntu?
12 >
13 > embedded gentoo is way cool! and very cutting edge.
14 >
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
16 >
17 > gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
18 > is where to join and post your questions.
21 > Otherwise, for performance reasons, I'd go with open-embedded.
22 >
23 > hth,
24 > James
25
26 Thanks all for the suggestions. I ended up caving and going Gentoo
27 again. I remembered that the original install, which took ages to
28 "emerge world", had freevo, mysql, X, subversion and a lot of other
29 stuff. This time it's just nzbget and file serving. The thought of
30 "learning" another distro also didn't exactly excite me so it was back
31 to familiar territory.
32
33 Andrew