From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is --changed-deps going to be *that* useless?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 16:00:06
1 On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 10:46 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 26/02/18 17:24, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 02/26/2018 10:16 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >>> Well, I'm on amd64, not ~amd64, and this morning portage wanted to
8 >>> remerge
9 >>> 217 packages. Removing --changed-deps reduced that to one:
10 >>> sys-devel/llvm.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> You do need to reinstall those.
14 >>
15 >> The latest (un)stable versions of automake are hard-coded in
16 >> autotools.eclass, and they wind up in the dependency string of every
17 >> ebuild that uses the eclass. It's stupid, we don't need to do it, and it
18 >> breaks all of those packages for other PMS-compliant package managers
19 >> (--changed-deps is portage-only). Sorry, we can't make people not do
20 >> this, apparently.
23 > Can't you whitelist packages like automake so that they don't trigger
24 > rebuilds? Or at least provide a configurable whitelist (for make.conf) where
25 > we can add packages that don't trigger changed-deps rebuilds?
26 >
27 > There is no reason to rebuild anything just because of an automake update.
28 > This is just madness.
31 Are you using --deep? I suspect that is why changed-deps is looking
32 at build-time dependencies. I don't see why you'd need to rebuild
33 something if a build-time dependency changes, unless you really care
34 about building with the latest build system (in which case you
35 probably would want to rebuild after an automake update).
38 Rich