From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old Firefox ebuild?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 20:38:57
1 On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 12:15:54 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > I think this will work for me, thank you! However, I don't understand
4 > why those versions precisely are there (which means they have been
5 > checked into cvs, I guess) and not others? For instance, the exact
6 > version I'm running now, 38.8.0, is not there, and neither are the 45.x
7 > and up which already invaded my portage tree.
8
9 The ebuilds used to install existing packages are all in /var/db/pkg.
10
11 > > You could use 'emerge --buildpkg y' to build binary packages you can
12 > > revert to, in case an update/upgrade breaks anything important.
13 >
14 > Yes, and I should really learn more about binary packages in gentoo.
15 > But still, it isn't much different from listing the files with equery f
16 > and making a tarball.
17
18 The packages portage creates also contain package metadata, as stored
19 in /var/db/pkg
20
21 > Without a way to rebuild from source I feel as if
22 > I were standing on 1 leg ...
23
24 If you have the disk space, adding buildpkg to FEATURES will ensure you
25 always have a crutch available...
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Am I ignorant or apathetic? I don't know and don't care!