From: zlg <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is --changed-deps going to be *that* useless?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 07:33:58
1 On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 01:22:57PM -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 > > On 2018-02-27 11:02, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> A combination of --changed-deps, --with-bdeps=y and --deep is bound to
6 > >> result in plenty of unnecessary re-emerging.
7 > > So, what _is_ the recommended set of emerge flags for regular daily or
8 > > weekly updates (assuming no binary packages)?
12 > Over the years, I've ended up with this command and options set that
13 > seem to work pretty well for most everything.  This is in make.conf:
14 >
15 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v -j5
16 > --quiet-build=n -1 --unordered-display"
17 >
18 > After I run eix-sync, I then run emerge -uaDN world and give the updates
19 > a looking over, to make sure the USE flags are like I want etc etc.  I
20 > started out with fewer options but as issues popped up or options were
21 > added that made things work better, they were added.  Some are done in
22 > make.conf to make sure they are the default for every command, unless I
23 > override it on the command line.  So far, it has resulted in a fairly
24 > stable system even if I have some arch packages installed, KDE for
25 > example.
26 >
27 > As usual, you may need something different but that has worked for me
28 > and could be a starting point at least.
29 >
30 > Hope that helps.
31 >
32 > Dale
33 >
35 >
36 > P. S.  On the rare occasion I want to add something to the world file, I
37 > either do it directly or use --select y to override the -1 in
38 > make.conf.  That helps keep the world file from getting cluttered up to
39 > no end with things that shouldn't be there.
42 I recently took --oneshot out of EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS due to failing to
43 find --select y; now I can add it back in. Thanks for the tip!
44
45 ~zlg