From: Michael Mauch <michael.mauch@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ATI driver, tvout, blue video window
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:42:46
1 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2
3 > I have installed gentoo on a gateway laptop, with an ATI mobility 9000
4 > radeon video adaptor. Once I have xorg installed, and ati-drivers
5 > (proprietary), tvout was pretty easy to set up using ati's setup
6 > utility, fglrxconfig and a couple of easy changes to
7 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
8 >
9 > However, I am having trouble trying to show my classes a dvd, because
10 > on the TV, the video frame is completely solidly dark blue.
11 >
12 > Preliminary investigation suggests this may be related to "xv". I
13 > don't understand this, and my attempts to edit some parameters in
14 > xorg.conf have failed.
15
16 Yes, a blue window is typical for xv output on a device that can't do
17 xv. You have to tell your player that it should use some other output
18 driver. E.g. with mplayer you could use -vo x11. If you use some other
19 player, you will find the right option in its menus.
20
21 > I followed an instruction on one of the howtos or faqs to not enable
22 > dri in the kernel.
23
24 That's something different, you should revert that.
25
26 > Where can I find a relatively understandable explantion of this
27 > effect? I saw a similar behavior with xinerama and a Matrox G450 with
28 > two heads: one head didn't show the graphics in the frame in some
29 > cases.
30
31 The second head is unaccelerated (at least on my G400), so you can't use
32 any "fancy stuff" like xv or OpenGL there.
33
34 Regards...
35 Michael
36 --