From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:26:10
1 On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >> I'm looking around for up to date instructions/wikis/howtos on how
6 >> to set up Samba on my CUPS server to allow me to print from Windows.
7 >
8 > I'm also interested in this; I tried it a while back (from both
9 > directions; printer hosted on linux and printer hosted on windows) and
10 > eventually gave up. The printer works fine locally on both machines.
11 > It's not a network printer (no print server) but just a plain old
12 > shared-on-the-netowork-while-attached-to-a-workstation printer. I'm
13 > not a CUPS or Samba expert at all so don't take my lack of success as
14 > to big of a discouragement. :)
15 >
16 > I'll be watching this thread closely and perhaps trying along with
17 > you, but for now I have nothing useful to add.
18 >
19 > Thanks,
20 > Paul
21
22 I struggled and made this work sort of some years ago. Then we all
23 switched to Linux and it wasn't such an issue. Now however I have more
24 Windows boxes in the house and need to deal with this again so I'm
25 sort of stuck.
26
27 I see Neil says he did it without Samba but I've never heard of that.
28 I thought the only way to make the cups stuff play on the network like
29 a Windows network was through cups.
30
31 The first thread I point at in the forums was semi-interesting but
32 finishes earlier this year with people failing to make things work.
33 Not a good sign I think.
34
35 I suppose if I bought a new network printer then maybe it wouldn't be
36 an issue but I don't have $300 to drop on that right now.
37
38 - Mark