From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] escape from hell: kdelibs
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:00:52
1 First, no criticism of Gentoo's hardworking devs intended or implied.
2
3 I thought I'ld try GCC 4.1.1, Glibc 2.4 & update to KDE 3.5.3 .
4 They're all still "testing", but we do have some responsibility to test,
5 & they've been there for a while without reports of painful experiences.
6
7 Having dealt with GCC & Glibc according to the docs,
8 I tried to compile Kdelibs 3.5.3 & got a long series of "can't find" msgs
9 followed by failure: there are a number of similar reports in the Forum.
10 Flameyes seems to give the authoritative response at Forum 060602 0917 :
11 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-467029-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-50.html?sid=759b61da629afeca0dfc16ee01411a17
12
13 Following this advice, I unmerged the previous Kdelibs
14 & tried again with the same result. A bit more poking around
15 & I decided the best course was to return to the original state of affairs
16 & restore GCC 3.4.5, Glibc 2.3 & KDE 3.5.2 . However when I did,
17 Kdelibs 3.5.2-r6 failed with the same error ! So recompile everything again
18 to try to make sure they were all in sync: same bad result !
19
20 Being experienced, I had made a quick-package of Kdelibs 3.5.2 ,
21 which I now tried to re-install via 'emerge -K': it refused,
22 demanding Qt 3.3.6 -- no longer in Portage -- , where I had 3.3.6-r1 .
23
24 Finally, I tried 'emerge -K --nodeps =kdelibs-3.5.2-r6', which worked !
25 I've rebooted & restarted KDE & all seems to be back to normal.
26
27 However, something is still not right with GCC 4.1.1, Glibc 4.2 & KDE 3.5.3 .
28 There was a recent request on Gentoo Dev for people to test things
29 prior to stabilising these items for the next profile, so I HTH (smile).
30
31 Anyone else have experiences to share ? Any known-to-work solution ?
35 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
36 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
37 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list