From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Raid 5 creation is slow - Can this be done quicker? [SOLVED]
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:24:42
1 On Monday 01 February 2010 12:58:49 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I am currently installing a new server and am using Linux software raid to
5 > merge 6 * 1.5TB drives in a RAID5 configuration.
6 >
7 > Creating the RAID5 takes over 20 hours (according to " cat /proc/mdstat ")
8 >
9 > Is there a way that will speed this up? The drives are new, but contain
10 > random data left over from some speed and reliability tests I did. I don't
11 > care about keeping the current 'data', as long as when the array is
12 > reliable later.
13 >
14 > Can I use the " --assume-clean " option with mdadm and then expect it to
15 > keep working, even through reboots?
16 > Or is this a really bad idea?
17 >
18 > Many thanks,
19 >
20 > Joost Roeleveld
23 Hi all,
24
25 Many thanks for all the input, I did wait the 20 hours, but when it was
26 finished, the performance was still slow. And trying out different options for
27 the array didn't actually help.
28
29 Thanks to the thread "1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance
30 so far" I figured out the problem (4KB sectors).
31 After changing the partitions to use sector 64 as start (as opposed to 63) a
32 build of the array should only take 6 hours.
33 Hopefully, the raid-array will also show a better performance when this is
34 finished.
37 Joost Roeleveld