From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Unpacking an ISO Image
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:32:51
1 On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:40:52 -0400
2 Peter wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:18:53 -0500, Kris Kerwin wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hi folks,
7 > >
8 > > Quick question. Is there any way that one can unpack an ISO image:
9 > > extracting the data that is contained within it like a tarball,
10 > > without having to burn it to a CD? I'm sure there's an option
11 > > somewhere within either the mkisofs or cdrecord man pages, but I feel
12 > > like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack.
13 > >
14 > > Thanks in advance.
15 > >
16 > > Kris
17 >
18 > OR, without using mount at all!
19 >
20 > Use mc in a terminal, highlight the file and press [Enter]. It will open
21 > it up like a directory. Other Virtual File System managers can also do
22 > this. Try Nautilus or the KDE file manager. In addition you can use avfs
23 > with fuse. All without having to issue a mount command :)
27 I have often thought that would be useful, but in my mc it doesn't work. what am i missing? I know for example that if I emerge rpm it works on
28 rpm files. What do I need to do to make it work for iso?
29
30 nick@www ~ $ equery uses mc
31 [ Searching for packages matching mc... ]
32 [ Colour Code : set unset ]
33 [ Legend : Left column (U) - USE flags from make.conf ]
34 [ : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
35 [ Found these USE variables for app-misc/mc-4.6.0-r14 ]
36 U I
37 + + gpm : Adds support for sys-libs/gpm (Console-based mouse driver)
38 + + nls : <unknown>
39 + + samba : Adds support for SAMBA (Windows File and Printer sharing)
40 + + ncurses : Adds ncurses support (console display library)
41 - - X : Adds support for X11
42 - + slang : Adds support for the slang text display library (it's like ncurses, but different)
43 - - unicode : Adds support for Unicode
44 - - 7zip : add support for 7zip archives
45 - - debug : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too
49 > --
50 > Peter
53 > --
54 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list