From: krzaq <krzakers@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntp problem
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:18:47
1 On 8/23/05, Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello. I'm running ntpd as server on one of my machines, and it keeps
3 > itself in sync with 6 time servers around the globe. The
4 > synchronization works very well.
5 > The problem is when I try to get the other machines on the network to
6 > sync themselves with this one server. Most of them are running linux
7 > (kernel 2.6.x), but some are still running windows.
8 > Some machines can sync fine, and some don't. All of them can reach the
9 > server (same network), and there is no firewall at all.
10 > This is the output I get from ntpq on the machines that don't work:
11 >
12 > ntpq> peers
13 > remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
14 > ==============================================================================
15 > timeserver 217.160.252.229 3 u 26 64 377 0.214 46927.6 716.379
16 > ntpq> assoc
17 >
18 > ind assID status conf reach auth condition last_event cnt
19 > ===========================================================
20 > 1 15036 9064 yes yes none reject reachable 6
21 >
22 > The only differences between this one and another machines where it's
23 > working fine are the status code (it varies a bit) and the condition
24 > (instead of reject, sys.peer).
25 > The ntp.conf for all machines have just:
26 >
27 > server 192.168.7.1
28 >
29 > which is the ip address of the time server in question.
30 > I don't know the internals of ntp. What can be wrong in my configuration?
31
32 I am no NTP expert, but there may be nothing wrong with your configuartion.
33 NTP is a complex protocol. The machine has decided not to sync
34 with the requested server. It thinks that the provided server is inacurate (the
35 machine's internal clock is more acurate).
36
37 Leave it running a couple of days and then see what happens.
38
39 The whole idea is to calculate the drift of the machines internal
40 clock. NTP will
41 not trust specified timeservers blindly.
42
43 Frankly I think that ntp works best with several timeservers.
44 If you want your local machines to blindly set the date to your local timeserver
45 try nptdate instead.
48 Regards
49 Karol Krzak
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list