From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gmail smtp overwrites the sender
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:09:02
1 On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 15 Mar 2012 14:51:10 Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Grant Edwards
4 >>
5 >> <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > On 2012-03-14, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 >> >> Perhaps your mail address was blacklisted? Many ISPs IP address
9 >> >> blocks are blacklisted these days.
10 >> >
11 >> > I know that was sometimes the case from the rejection message sent by
12 >> > the destination SMTP server.  Even though I had a static IP address
13 >> > and an valid MX entry for the sending machine's hostname, some sites
14 >> > wouldn't accept mail because my static IP addres was in a block used
15 >> > for DSL customers (of which I was one).
16 >>
17 >> Yeah, I can't even send email to my gmail account from my Comcast
18 >> public IPv4 address.
19 >
20 > Have you tried using port 587?  Comcast should accept relaying on that port
21 > IIRC with your customer username/passwd.
22
23 Researched that, but I ultimately didn't go that route because I
24 couldn't find any good documentation on the appropriate settings.
27 > Or are you saying that Google will not accept incoming mail from Comcast
28 > addresses/IP blocks?
29
30 Not saying that; to my knowledge, Gmail accepts relay through
31 Comcast's relay points, but I haven't tested that. I've only tested
32 direct connections.
35 :wq