From: Nganon <nganon+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:03:56
1 On 18 August 2010 17:53, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 08/18/2010 04:53 AM, Nganon wrote:
4 > > I did not know that. I was thinking of, in couple of months, buying a
5 > > notebook
6 > > with two HDDs with RAID1 installed and using the usb drive as a backup
7 > > destination. So if RAID got corruped, the backups, made since then,
8 > > would be
9 > > useless? How would you resolve it?
10 >
11 > The ONLY thing RAID will save you from is hardware failure.
12 >
13 > Copying data from one disk to another is not RAID. If you use dd to copy
14 > from one corrupt filesystem to another, you have two corrupt filesystems.
15 >
16 > Clear now, thanks.
19 > If you want a robust filesystem, look into ZFS/BTRFS.
22 AFAIK ZFS is unmaintained and BTRFS is not stable, am I wrong?