From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 22:32:37
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> I already did the rsync/format thing a few times over the last years,
5 >>> and the results are always the same: very fast filesystem for about a
6 >>> month, then it starts getting slower over time.
7 >>
8 >> I have to say that after my recent transfer, my login got a whole one
9 >> second faster. I can't tell any difference anywhere else. Of course,
10 >> portage has always been on its own partition and used ext3.
11 >>
12 >> We need a hard drive engineer on here. :/
13 >
14 > Well, I have everything in /. Except for /boot. Maybe I should
15 > reconsider my setup :P
20 How you partition depends on what you are doing. I just have a desktop
21 myself. I keep /home and /data separate in case I need to switch over
22 for some reason and portage just to keep it from getting to fragmented.
23 I guess it helps some at least.
24
25 Dale
26