From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:21:06
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I didn't know you could do low level formats anymore. Really? What
4 >> package provides that? Hmmm, I'm thinking about those HOURS spent
5 >> formatting a 100Mb drive and then thinking about how long it will take
6 >> to do a 3Tb drive. O_O I mean really O_O. LOL
7 > hdparm provides it. Do a search for "ATA secure erase" or "enhanced
8 > secure erase". It is as close as there is to a low-level format in
9 > modern drives. It is basically a erase/format within the drive's
10 > firmware, that resets it all back to factory, including bad sectors,
11 > with the same pattern of 1's and 0's and everything. You can do it
12 > with hdparm but it's tricky and contains many warnings about killing
13 > your drive. It is considered the only "true" way to properly erase a
14 > hard drive as anything else is just overwriting and does not
15 > necessarily touch all the areas that the firmware can touch. I think
16 > actual implementation of what the secure erases do varies from drive
17 > to drive, but they'll all format the whole disk for sure.
18 >
19 > The parted magic live CD contains a GUI tool to automate it and it is
20 > extremely simple to use. Choose your drive and go. On a 2tb drive I
21 > think it took 4 or 5 hours when I ran it. There is absolutely no
22 > feedback while it is running, so you're just waiting with no progress
23 > indicator or anything. You can also do SMART tests from within the
24 > parted magic live CD environment. And of course partitioning. :)
25 >
26 > That all being said, when performing this kind of operation I usually
27 > like to use a live CD and unplug ALL OTHER HARD DRIVES except for the
28 > one I'm going to destroy. I don't want to accidentally erase the wrong
29 > drive. (In fact I have an old Pentium 4 computer with no HDDs that I
30 > use solely for the purpose of testing live CDs, testing and formatting
31 > drives, partitioning new drives before i put them into a production
32 > machine)
37 I have seen where people use dd to do this sort of thing to. I read
38 somewhere that if you do a dd and put in all 1's, then all 0's then back
39 again that it is very hard to get any data back off the drive. I think
40 if you do it like over a dozen times, it is deemed impossible to get
41 anything back. I think that is the Government standard of it's gone.
42
43 4 or 5 hours huh. I guess drives are a lot faster now. Back in the
44 late 80's or early 90's, it took that long for those whimpy little 100Mb
45 drives. Ooops, my ages is showing again. lol
46
47 I got to go read up on hdparm. I already have it installed here. I'm
48 not planning to use this part but do want to read up on this.
49
50 Thanks.
51
52 Dale
53
57 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!