From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 04:03:45
1 > I have seen where people use dd to do this sort of thing to. I read
2 > somewhere that if you do a dd and put in all 1's, then all 0's then back
3 > again that it is very hard to get any data back off the drive. I think
4 > if you do it like over a dozen times, it is deemed impossible to get
5 > anything back. I think that is the Government standard of it's gone.
6
7 I've heard the old attacks to recover data from a zerod drive are no
8 longer viable for disks of greater capacity than about 10G. I haven't
9 seen the information myself, however.
10
11 A single pass using dd would probably a good way of detecting any
12 existing bad blocks, so a smartctl then dd then smartctl again and a
13 diff of the results may be interesting.
14
15 I just use a 1TB software mirror for my backups.