From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 04:18:16
1 On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 14:02 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > > I have seen where people use dd to do this sort of thing to. I read
3 > > somewhere that if you do a dd and put in all 1's, then all 0's then back
4 > > again that it is very hard to get any data back off the drive. I think
5 > > if you do it like over a dozen times, it is deemed impossible to get
6 > > anything back. I think that is the Government standard of it's gone.
7 >
8 > I've heard the old attacks to recover data from a zerod drive are no
9 > longer viable for disks of greater capacity than about 10G. I haven't
10 > seen the information myself, however.
11 >
12 > A single pass using dd would probably a good way of detecting any
13 > existing bad blocks, so a smartctl then dd then smartctl again and a
14 > diff of the results may be interesting.
15 >
16 > I just use a 1TB software mirror for my backups.
19 To wipe a drive use dban. - live CD which uses (US) gov approved
20 standards of wipe methods/patterns.
21
22 dd is only going to show sectors on a failed drive - too late!
23
24 To explain, modern drives have a store of locations they can use to
25 transparently replace any failed locations (apparently similar to the
26 way SSD's do it) - the internal drive electronics handle this and its
27 not visible externally though smart data seems to show it, but as google
28 says, smart is a bit suspect. The problem of a bad sector will only
29 show once all the reserved locations are used up, by which time the
30 drive is usually in rampant failure.
31
32 I do suspect this is one reason for googles results - actual failures of
33 the media (as against the motors/electronics are much as they always
34 have been, but the drives are not reporting them until its too late.
35
36 BillK