From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 04:24:16
1 > To wipe a drive use dban. - live CD which uses (US) gov approved
2 > standards of wipe methods/patterns.
3
4 Or shred, which comes with coreutils.
5
6 > dd is only going to show sectors on a failed drive - too late!
7 >
8 > To explain, modern drives have a store of locations they can use to
9 > transparently replace any failed locations (apparently similar to the
10 > way SSD's do it) - the internal drive electronics handle this and its
11 > not visible externally though smart data seems to show it, but as google
12 > says, smart is a bit suspect. The problem of a bad sector will only
13 > show once all the reserved locations are used up, by which time the
14 > drive is usually in rampant failure.
15 >
16 > I do suspect this is one reason for googles results - actual failures of
17 > the media (as against the motors/electronics are much as they always
18 > have been, but the drives are not reporting them until its too late.
19
20 Ahh - go to know. My reasoning assumed that smart reports all remaps.