From: Leslie Turriff <jlturriff@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Correcting some misconceptions (was: What magic does portage use?)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 02:07:24
1 On Wednesday 16 December 2009 16:25:43 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 16 December 2009 01:34:33 Dale wrote:
4 > >>> A real world scenario would be a bank server doing transactions. Those
5 > >>> big irons do never ever get shut down.
6 > >>> (But they also don't ever get really updated ;)
7 > >>>
8 Not true.* :-)
9
10 > >>> Did you know, that they still use cobol-code from decades ago. The code
11 > >>> has to interact with newer systems, but the existing code is not
12 > >>> allowed to be altered, they just run it inside hugh java application
13 > >>> servers on their main frames :D
14 > >>>
15 Somewhat true, but inaccurate. :-)
16 > >>> Bye,
17 > >>> Daniel
18 > >>
19 > >> Well, I wish someone would tell my bank that. They are down pretty
20 > >> regular "upgrading" something. I use the term upgrading lightly here.
21 > >> It usually makes things worse but anyway. They run windoze on their rig
22 > >> so they most likely can't help that. ;-)
23 > >
24 > > They upgrade the *front*ends*, not the real stuff at the back.
25 > >
26 > > Switching a mainframe off is not a supported activity :-)
27 > >
28 Again, not true. But sometimes they run so long between IPLs the operations
29 staff have to look up the procedures for doing it. :-)
30
31 > > Along those lines I could tell you some funny stories about monumental
32 > > cockups banks do to their front ends (my S.O. does banking data
33 > > warehousing), but I'm not actually supposed to know some of that stuff so
34 > > I won't :-)
35 >
36 > I'm not sure about back end or front end but they sure make a mess of it
37 > at times.
38 >
39 Of course, not all banks use the same technology, nor do they all have the
40 same level of competence. :-)
41
42 > >> Hearing they use old code is not to surprising actually. Look at air
43 > >> traffic control. Every time they try to upgrade, it crashes. I guess
44 > >> the cheapest bidder is not always the best. o_O
45 > >
46 > > Every such crash after an upgrade I know of is trying to run the thing on
47 > > Windows...
48 >
49 > Yep, I read the same thing. Why not use a real OS? I'm thinking BSD or
50 > something. Linux would be good but I think BSD is even better suited
51 > for basically 100% uptime.
52 >
53 > Dale
54 >
55 * This is an interesting discussion, but I feel obligated to point out that
56 much of it is fantasy. :-)
57
58 As a 30-year veteran of the IBM mainframe programming environment, I can say
59 with authority that most of the enterprises that use them for
60 mission-critical business applications (banking, stock-brokerage, etc.) are
61 running systems that are updated frequently (sometimes daily) and are fully
62 capable of being shut down and restarted (on purpose :-D ). Yes, some of
63 them are front-ended with Linux servers; mainframe systems are not well
64 designed for managing dynamic web traffic, although systems that do not have
65 to support very high-volume workflows can do it themselves. The last system
66 that I worked on was only shut down and restarted twice per year, because 90%
67 of maintenance could be done while it was running (just like Linux), and
68 because it was not a business-critical system, it was only required to be
69 available 99.95% of the time. :-)
70
71 The banking and brokerage systems that I first referred to use a more robust
72 configuration than we did, which is capable of providing services 100% of the
73 time, much like a Linux cluster system does. IBM calls the
74 configuration "Parallel Sysplex." Here's an excerpt of their technical
75 description, from
76 <http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/advantages/pso/sysover.html>:
77
78 'This "shared data" (as opposed to "shared nothing") approach enables
79 workloads to be dynamically balanced across all servers in the Parallel
80 Sysplex cluster. This approach allows critical business applications to take
81 advantage of the aggregate capacity of multiple servers to help ensure
82 maximum system throughput and performance during peak processing periods. In
83 the event of a hardware or software outage, either planned or unplanned,
84 workloads can be dynamically redirected to available servers thus providing
85 near continuous application availability.
86 Another significant and unique advantage of using Parallel Sysplex technology
87 is the ability to perform hardware and software maintenance and installations
88 in a nondisruptive manner. Through data sharing and dynamic workload
89 management, servers can be dynamically removed from or added to the cluster
90 allowing installation and maintenance activities to be performed while the
91 remaining systems continue to process work. Furthermore, by adhering to IBM's
92 software and hardware coexistence policy, software and/or hardware upgrades
93 can be introduced one system at a time. This capability allows customers to
94 roll changes through systems at a pace that makes sense for their business.
95 The ability to perform rolling hardware and software maintenance in a
96 nondisruptive manner allows business to implement critical business function
97 and react to rapid growth without affecting customer availability.'
98
99 Respectfully,
100
101 Leslie