From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:08:27
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 December 2009 01:34:33 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> A real world scenario would be a bank server doing transactions. Those
5 >>> big irons do never ever get shut down.
6 >>> (But they also don't ever get really updated ;)
7 >>>
8 >>> Did you know, that they still use cobol-code from decades ago. The code
9 >>> has to interact with newer systems, but the existing code is not allowed
10 >>> to be altered, they just run it inside hugh java application servers on
11 >>> their main frames :D
12 >>>
13 >>> Bye,
14 >>> Daniel
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >> Well, I wish someone would tell my bank that. They are down pretty
18 >> regular "upgrading" something. I use the term upgrading lightly here.
19 >> It usually makes things worse but anyway. They run windoze on their rig
20 >> so they most likely can't help that. ;-)
23 > They upgrade the *front*ends*, not the real stuff at the back.
24 >
25 > Switching a mainframe off is not a supported activity :-)
26 >
27 > Along those lines I could tell you some funny stories about monumental cockups
28 > banks do to their front ends (my S.O. does banking data warehousing), but I'm
29 > not actually supposed to know some of that stuff so I won't :-)
33 I'm not sure about back end or front end but they sure make a mess of it
34 at times.
35
36 >> Hearing they use old code is not to surprising actually. Look at air
37 >> traffic control. Every time they try to upgrade, it crashes. I guess
38 >> the cheapest bidder is not always the best. o_O
41 > Every such crash after an upgrade I know of is trying to run the thing on
42 > Windows...
46 Yep, I read the same thing. Why not use a real OS? I'm thinking BSD or
47 something. Linux would be good but I think BSD is even better suited
48 for basically 100% uptime.
49
50 Dale
51