From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 22:14:50
1 On Wednesday 16 December 2009 01:34:33 Dale wrote:
2 > > A real world scenario would be a bank server doing transactions. Those
3 > > big irons do never ever get shut down.
4 > > (But they also don't ever get really updated ;)
5 > >
6 > > Did you know, that they still use cobol-code from decades ago. The code
7 > > has to interact with newer systems, but the existing code is not allowed
8 > > to be altered, they just run it inside hugh java application servers on
9 > > their main frames :D
10 > >
11 > > Bye,
12 > > Daniel
15 > Well, I wish someone would tell my bank that. They are down pretty
16 > regular "upgrading" something. I use the term upgrading lightly here.
17 > It usually makes things worse but anyway. They run windoze on their rig
18 > so they most likely can't help that. ;-)
19
20 They upgrade the *front*ends*, not the real stuff at the back.
21
22 Switching a mainframe off is not a supported activity :-)
23
24 Along those lines I could tell you some funny stories about monumental cockups
25 banks do to their front ends (my S.O. does banking data warehousing), but I'm
26 not actually supposed to know some of that stuff so I won't :-)
27
28 > Hearing they use old code is not to surprising actually. Look at air
29 > traffic control. Every time they try to upgrade, it crashes. I guess
30 > the cheapest bidder is not always the best. o_O
31
32 Every such crash after an upgrade I know of is trying to run the thing on
33 Windows...
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com